Friday, February 19, 2010

My own Idiot story

It occured to me last night... The story of "3 idiots" , in many ways, could be my own !
Towards the beginning of college we had a group of three. Saumyadip & Purnendu (all names and incidents real) being my best friends then in a world of alien, bookish classmates and bragging professors. It must have been a very strong bond as we still remain in touch after almost 12 years , that too, being in three different parts of the world and in entirely different professions. Though, I would probably not gate crash a marriage party to steal the bride or travel to Ladakh to meet up my friends (sorry guys!!! ). Saumya, who is currently doing his research on some weird complicated subject in Finland could easily step in to Rancho's (Ryan in 5 point someone) shoes. He had the knack to influence people, had his own pre conceived ideas on changing the world and was the most talented among us. I could write pages about him, but let's hold that till he receives a nobel in physics.

Puru was literally an idiot! He did stuff with his life which you could easily compare to jumping from a 3rd floor terrace. He even has a sister ! Well... if I had to save his life by marrying her, I wouldn't think twice :) .

He also has a gem of a heart and that was reason enough for me to love him.

None of us had a girl friend, though Puru and I managed to nail down the girls we aimed at then. (It took us years and the same dedication towards our career could have seen us in better positions now) Saumya, it seemed would have a cake walk with the girl he aimed at, but then, even Bangladesh beats Australia sometimes...

Unlike Raju, Puru did have a 7th floor apartment which remained empty for most parts of the day. The terrace was the perfect place to have a pint of beer or inexpensive rum and cola in the after noon of a rainy day. It was too great an attraction to break away from the dull physics lectures and none of us were monks in any way.

It was Saumya who had the courage to follow his dreams, even if it means staying thousands of miles away from home, where the sun shines for only 6 months in a year. He did try to motivate us in his own way but reality is not a movie and we could not muster enough courage to follow our heart's desires...

That said, I don't repent a bit when I think of the good times we had together. And, I really hope we would meet up in a terrace someday, just the three of us...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lovely story ... for a minute I hiked the arrow of time in the reverse direction to mind myself sitting content in the afternoon breeze on the terrace near Taratala sipping oldmonk rum and eying upon the last bits of chanachur left in the plate.

    As a matter of fact I still dont have a girlfriend but still life moves on.

    This story comes at a perfect time .. and I needed this motivation at this difficult hour of life.

    One of these days lets all bunk our ''classes'' and meet up at the terrace. I will get the rum, Tatha get the cola and Puru can manage the glasses :)

    Tatha ... do you recall the incident of attending the class stoned - the day you stapled yourself instead of the papers !

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading i felt all these thing happened just few days back...
    I am coming home very soon, this time not for a visit. We will definitely enjoy the those moments once again ...
    Did u all remember once we bunked our class and had a drink in the metro...

    Glasses are ready…..

    ReplyDelete