Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The road to papahood...

It started one December morning. The sheer excitement even pronounced by the chill that tickled and teased deep down inside the blanket. My wife got up early. She had just taken a test more scary than your first board exams... and the results were due in 5 minutes.
I lay frozen in bed. The lingering bubbles of sleep being pricked away by the unforgiving signals from the brain. After what seemed like an eternity, I heard her calling out for me, her voice uncomfortably neutral. I turned towards her, our eyes met, and that was it...the journey had begun !!!
37 weeks later, it was my turn to wait for a result. Only this time, I was spared the torture of being all alone as I was surrounded by family. The medical staff had taken her into the operation theatre where she would be anaesthetised and would undergo a lower uterine caesarian section surgery. The baby would be pulled out of her mother's womb any moment now. A boy? A girl? It didn't matter to me... I so wanted to see her again....
Minutes passed as I found myself pretending to be the epitome of "courage under pressure" (that is how Hemingway defined "grace") . Then suddenly I heard someone calling out my name and the surrounding just erupted. I climbed two floors up the stairs to the O.T and somewhat symbolically took one giant step in life... I was the father of a baby girl !!

But hey... I was not thinking of writing all this. I was about to tell you how miserable I felt at the last bit of freedom being confiscated from me. About the zillion calculations I did in my mind over those 9 months. And how the same me fought tears when the little one had a fever just 4 days into her life and the doctors said they would make a puncture in her spine and draw fluid in a syringe. They wouldn't allow anyone near her and I had to watch her from behind a glass partition till the nurses would mercilessly pull down the curtains !
Having gone through all this, it really feels good to hold her in my arms now. I selfishly have the privilege to call her "Steffi" even though people around me find it hard to digest :) .
And do you know what my wife said to me when I met her again in the recovery room...
She said "We did it !!"
"We sure did !!" -- I replied

No comments:

Post a Comment