Saturday, February 21, 2009

The quest for exclusivity

It was one of those “what do I do now” evenings and I was lazily going through the myriad Orkut profiles trying to find something that would interest me. It was only then that this idea occurred to me. Do we not somewhere deep in our heart of hearts long to be exclusive? And being somewhat hesitant try to imply subtly that I am “The One” to look out for.
Clever creative people that some of these guys are, they wouldn’t scream out loud from the top of a building --- “Hey! Check me out !!!” Each of them would try to put their own touch to an otherwise common agenda – “try to be exclusive”. The most widely used weapon among us seem to be posting photographs of the inexpensive tourist locations in first world countries. Album full of white snow covered mountains, the same shot, same time, same camera! Or a bunch of friends on a pavement with some tall buildings in the background. They are not really memoirs of a vacation, are they?
Then there’s this guy who proudly proclaims in his profile pic that he has moved to another social networking site. I mean… why the f… never mind!
The bottom line --- all of us are in this mad race to establish our exclusivity. Nothing wrong with that though. After all, what has Ayn Rand been trying to teach us about human ego.
It was then that I decided to give blogging a try. Perhaps the keyboard and free internet pages could come to the rescue of an otherwise creatively challenged person like me. Do I not get those flashes of fictions in my mind. Can I try to put them in words? And what about the strong urge to speak of my observations of the human race? Why not? Let me join the quest…

No comments:

Post a Comment